For couples who love the picturesque beauty of the outdoors, but also don’t want to sacrifice comfort and luxury at their wedding, there exists the perfect amalgamation of both, in a fabulous trend that has become loved world-wide. It is a combination of glamour and camping, known as glamping.
I know – it sounds too good to be true. But before you dismiss it as a perfect, unattainable mirage, let’s do an objective evaluation to answer some key questions. What is glamping and why is it growing in popularity? Does it live up to its promise of stylishly combining the two contrasting elements of the great outdoors and comfort? And lastly, can you have your dream outdoor wedding while maintaining a budget that isn’t as magnificent as the idea itself?
What are Glamping Weddings?
You might have heard about it under another alias – boutique camping, luxury camping, posh camping, or comfy camping weddings. These all refer to a style of ceremony akin to a woodland party, a mystical outdoor festival or a countryside escape, which is often extended to an overnight or multiday celebratory camp for the couple – and if you desire, your guests as well. This allows you and your troop to connect intimately with your surroundings and strengthen your relationships, while providing a soothing contrast to the hustle and bustle of city life.
However, the post-ceremony stay is nothing like the ordinary campsites you’re probably envisioning, with nylon tents, sleeping bags and scarce provisions. Glamping puts all the posh conveniences of a modern hotel at your disposal, while camping. Hot running water, a restroom, mini fridge, shower or luxurious bath, and tents with lovely, cushiony beds are some of the amenities and resort-style services you might expect, depending on your venue. Some locations offer beautiful catered breakfast, lunch and dinner – all in way that suits your lovely glamping theme.
Whatever your needs, as you can see from these 10 Glamping Wedding Venues in the UK, there’s a place that’s either perfectly suited for your wedding already, or can be customized to meet your requirements.
This perfect combination of elements makes glamping ideal for an incredible weekend of celebration with your friends and family; or just the two of you, as a relaxing start of your journey together. And because of the uniqueness of such a ceremony, it’s the kind of event that will have you and your guests recalling fond memories for years to come.
In addition to it being the perfect way to experience the wonder of nature and connect with your friends and family, glamping has other attractive features. The adventures that you can embark on are endless – from exciting activities such as hiking, mountain biking, dancing, white water rafting and canoeing, to more relaxing ones like animal watching, wine tasting, exploring the local countryside, toasting marshmallows over an open fire and specially-designed lawn games for your guests.
Benefits of Glamping
Glamping also requires less materials and energy than other kinds of weddings because you’re taking advantage of the already-existing beauty of nature and therefore, need very little decoration. Objects that might have otherwise been discarded are often transformed into interesting, one-of-a-kind decorations. Antique doorframes, petite bicycles, vintage suitcases, rusted wheelbarrows, wooden barrels, glass bottles and jars, ladders and photo frames are some of the random objects that decorate these country scenes; blending delightfully with wild flower arrangements and living plants; adding to the rustic atmosphere. This is a double bonus because it results in:
- Less expenditure, making glamping an option for a wide range of budgets.
- More eco-friendliness, so it’s the obvious choice for nature lovers.
- Some great props and decorations for your photographer in capture.
Tips to Plan the Perfect Glamping Wedding
Now that we’ve covered the reasons why luxury camping weddings are so popular, as well as charming ideas that you can use for your own wedding, there are a few key things to keep in mind when planning your fairytale-like celebration under the stars, so here are some tips:
- You want all your guests to feel welcome, even the less “outdoorsy” ones, so make sure to choose an accessible location that is near alternative accommodation, such as a cozy bed-and-breakfast.
- Always have a plan for bad weather. A great idea is to have a large waterproof tipi tent for outdoor events. You can’t go wrong – even if you get glorious weather, your guests will appreciate the shade. Also, advise everyone to bring extra layers for the evening and make sure to have some cozy blankets and throws at the ready.
- An ingenious way to transform any area into a space ready for partying all night long, is to make use of lighting. Lanterns hanging from trees, candles and strings of lights draped overhead will effortlessly create a supremely delightful scene!
- Another thing to keep in mind is that you don’t want to exhaust your guests, neither do you want to bore them, so it’s important to strike a balance between organized activities, free play and rest time. Thus, having variety and flexibility in your schedule is ideal.
- Lastly, be sure to communicate clearly with your guests about the catering plan (will they need to bring their own food or dishes for meals other than the main wedding dinner?), what kind of attire they should wear (consider a comfortable dress code that’s practical for the environment), and the amenities that will or will not be available at the camp site. Letting them know what to expect will ensure that the celebration runs more smoothly so that everyone has a wonderfully memorable experience.
These are the main pointers for starting your lifelong adventure together with the perfect combination of posh comfort and outdoor excitement. For a more detailed list of guidelines, check out these 25 Tips for Throwing the Camping Wedding of Your Dreams.